Anadolu staff
12 April 2026•Update: 12 April 2026
US Vice President JD Vance extended his stay in Islamabad at Pakistan's request as the high-stakes US-Iran talks stretched into a second day, Pakistani government sources told Anadolu on Sunday.
Vance, who is leading the US delegation in the marathon talks to end a wider Middle East conflict, was scheduled to leave early Sunday, said sources.
He revised his departure plan as Islamabad insisted on a "high-level presence" in the talks to reach a "potential agreement," they added.
Iran and the US have agreed to another round of talks later Sunday following a proposal by Pakistani mediators.
The upcoming round will be part of trilateral negotiations involving Iran, the US and Pakistan, as efforts continue to reach a framework agreement to end hostilities.
The decision came after earlier rounds with senior officials ended in Islamabad, including with Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and senior security official Ali Bagheri Kani, as well as the US vice president, Witkoff and Kushner.
Following the meetings, the two sides engaged in indirect exchanges, including sharing written texts.
The next round is expected after sunrise Sunday, while officials and media teams await details from inside the negotiation venue.
The US delegation also includes US President Donald Trump's Special Envoy to the Middle East Steve Witkoff and senior adviser and Trump's son-in-law, Jared Kushner.
The Iranian delegation is headed by Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, with Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and senior security official Ali Bagheri Kani also taking part.
Senior Pakistani officials facilitated the talks, positioning Islamabad as a key mediator in the process.
Iranian media said the negotiations had entered a “sensitive phase,” with expert teams engaged at the technical level through specialized committees.
Pakistan is hosting the talks under a fragile two-week ceasefire brokered earlier this week.